Thursday, January 25, 2024

My Love for the Arts



 My love for art started with an easel of green paint. I was around 2 or 3 years old. My parents encouraged us to be creative as they embraced their crafts. My father enjoyed welding, carving, and sketching. My mother's talents as a seamstress are beautiful. Watching my parents with their crafts showed how much practice makes progress and making mistakes is how we learn. I still love to paint! Currently, I am working on a few projects. I would also like to continue learning more about ceramics. I've completed the intermediate course at the UAF campus as I complete my social work and art degree. 

My latest obsession is kiva murals. They are ceremonial rooms from the Indigenous Pueblian people. This is a modern kiva. I believe an ancient kiva was found with over 100 layers of murals. After the mural ceremonies were complete they would whitewash the mural as a ritual to close the ceremony. Recently I researched neuro-science and art therapy and learned a little about Kiva traditions. I am interested in this practice and how community and ceremony brought the tribes together meeting inside the earth to celebrate and commune together in ceremony.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Testing 1.2.3…

Anonymous said...

Comment test! Alpha! Bravo! Tango!

Anonymous said...

You have always loved vivid colors and always filled up the whole page. When I asked you about your painting you simply said “it’s geen mommy. “

T said...

I love your art pieces, you put a bit of your soul and love into each one. Watching your progression has been a beautiful process! I am beyond proud to hang them on my wall. :)<3

The Ukulele Fool said...

100 layers of murals - that's a lot. Sure is a great way to keep the community entertained.

Alaska Native Arts: Traditional and Contemporary Non Western Art

During my last post, Rise of Feminist Artists, I had to narrow down my choices. Indigenous artwork was a choice during the assignment for ou...